I rebuilt the one in my '49 4400 and it was pretty easy. Jim Carter and American Classic both sell the kits and a handy little instruction manual that walks you through it.

Also, *after* you rebuild it, you will be simply astounded at how much better it steers. Be advised, though, you have to put the right lube back in it. Regular gear oil will run right back out of it. So will chain saw bar oil wink Here on the site, folks have recommended getting John Deere Corn Head grease. I went to my local JD dealer, found some right on the shelf, pumped it in with a grease gun and it seems to be working fine.

To remake my point, though -- as many on this site have personally witnessed -- I am no mechanic and probably should not be allowed to touch tools. But I rebuilt mine and actually found it straight forward and ... even fun!

Get the manual and kit and tear into it. I have a couple of spare boxes here and I give you one if, for some reason, I've steered you wrong. Have at it!

Have fun.

See you on June 26th in Baltimore for the ATHS Balt-Wash Chapter show?

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)