The more I have studied the GMC V6, the more impressed I am with how much engineering went into the design. I've never seen another engine with the crankshaft mounted so high up in the block. It really was designed to run forever.

But the cost considerations and fun factor made the decision for me. A fully dressed 350 crate motor costed less than half what a rebuild would have set me back on the V6, along with about double the gas mileage. That and I wanted a street rod. A V8 and T10 4 speed is a lot more fun (for me) than the stump pulling torque of the stock arrangement. The other benefit was the improved handling and steering due to the weight reduction over the front suspension. I think a SBC with iron heads is about 550 pounds and a 305 V6 is about 300 pounds heavier.


1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane