Bartamos and Pete......thanks for your comments. I've about decided to tackle the job of doing my first carb rebuild. I've never done any carb work but figure I should teach myself.
I've checked the plugs before and saw what I expected....black plugs. Yes, the truck is running rich, but that is because I have to run it with the choke longer than I would like. I've never had a car with a manual choke but I think I should be able to push the choke in sooner. The truck just coughs and sputters too much early in the drive if I don't have it out slightly. As it warms and then gets hotter I don't have to use the choke for smooth running as much. The cough or sputter is more like it dies for a second when I'm pushing in on the accelerator then it starts back up. It's for only a second....thus the "cough". I pull the choke back out at that time and it purrs like a kitten. Something is wrong so I'll tear down the carb and install a kit hoping that will solve the problem. I'm sure I'll post ????'s once I begin that journey!!
Thanks,
Spot