Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,258 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#64674 08/23/2006 8:35 PM | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 46 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 46 | Talk about obstructed exhaust, I got it to run a bit, and you should of seen the mice nests come shooting out!
I loosened the distrib clamp screw and turned the distrib back and forth to loosen it up. I rechecked the timing mark and rotor, set up the points, and replaced the plug wires in proper order (1-5-3-6-2-4). I pulled out the choke, pulled the throttle out quite a way, and turned her over. It popped once, it popped twice, I pushed the choke in, it fired and turned, fired more (with a few backfires), and then took off to the races at high rev! I throttled down and let her run for a couple of minutes. As I eased off the throttle more the engine lost power and quit. I have started a few more times the same way. I am concerned about the backfires, and why the engine "overrides" them when it gets going. Probably need to tune-up some more.
1953 GMC half-ton
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/21/2006 8:57 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Graflexmaster | 08/21/2006 9:05 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Tiny | 08/21/2006 10:15 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| 64fleetside | 08/21/2006 11:22 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| leon2982 | 08/22/2006 12:10 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/22/2006 2:01 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Roy Rodgers | 08/22/2006 3:04 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/22/2006 4:54 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Lumbergh | 08/22/2006 3:54 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/23/2006 3:26 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/23/2006 4:06 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Tiny | 08/23/2006 3:30 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Toyvo | 08/23/2006 7:11 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/23/2006 8:35 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/23/2006 9:17 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Brendan M | 08/23/2006 10:01 PM | |
| |