Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Joe H, PAUL Berardi),
140
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,246 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#64666 08/22/2006 2:01 AM | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 46 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 46 | I decided to check the timing, using my maintenance manual instructions. (I don't have tools for compresion testing.) I reset the manual advance, then hand cranked the engine until the pointer and flywheel mark lined up. But the rotor pointed to the #3 wire, not the #1. So I'm thinking the timing is way off or the spark plug wires are in the wrong distrib cap holes. Looking at the engine from the passenger side, my firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 (It's a 228 in a '53 GMC.) The order on the distrib cap, from the 12 o'clock position, was 6-1-2-3-4-5. I pulled the plugs and stuck them in 4-5-6-1-2-3. In other words I rotated all plugs clockwise 2 holes. (I hope that makes sense.) I turned the distrib housing until the points were opened and tightened things up. With a fire extinguisher beside me, I cranked her over. I did get some firing, and some smoke blowing out the carb. A complete, accurate tune-up is a little beyond me, so I am thinking of having some old-timers at a local garage look it over. What do you think?
1953 GMC half-ton
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/21/2006 8:57 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Graflexmaster | 08/21/2006 9:05 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Tiny | 08/21/2006 10:15 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| 64fleetside | 08/21/2006 11:22 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| leon2982 | 08/22/2006 12:10 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/22/2006 2:01 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Roy Rodgers | 08/22/2006 3:04 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/22/2006 4:54 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Lumbergh | 08/22/2006 3:54 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/23/2006 3:26 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/23/2006 4:06 AM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Tiny | 08/23/2006 3:30 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Toyvo | 08/23/2006 7:11 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| GMC53 | 08/23/2006 8:35 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| bigbadswingdaddy | 08/23/2006 9:17 PM |
Re: GOT GAS, GOT SPARK, WON'T START!
| Brendan M | 08/23/2006 10:01 PM | |
| |