From your description, I THINK I know the answer, and you'll probably say I'm crazy as a bed bug, but bear with me, Since I don't know the history of your truck, I have to assume that its in average condition for a 60 year old truck. The spiral wound springs on the supports that hold the hood in the "open" position have a tendency to rub the windings together, and bind when the hood is lowered, thus holding the rear portion of the hood up slightly. Anyone selling the hinges and supports would tell you to replace, and that would probably be best! However, if you can work some grease into the springs between the windings on the area where they are rubbing together, it should let the springs work more freely and let the hood go down at the back. You may have to spend some time woring thed grease in before you get good results.