The oil didn't make much sense to me either but it's what this old hard @ss told me today at work. I wrench on old air cooled VWs for a hobby for the past 20 years so I'm pretty savvy on oils. Just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing with his direction on running the other oil.
I don't remember there being any such thing as a easy way of replacing the main seal with out pulling either the tranny or the engine. The tranny looks easier to me and I might start there first.
Again, this is my first old Chevy truck and I have a lot to learn and a lot to tweak on her if I'm gonna run her hard 60 miles every day. I must say that it is a lot of fun to drive and get TONS of looks. You'll understand once I post some pics. I'll post them this evening when I get home. LOL