Finally I went to pick up my tomato salad (Red GMC, different year parts)
Mater Photos . Now that I have it in my possession, guess I'll try to ask what I'm immediately going to fix.
Its in fairly good condition, but doors, glass and cab might need a little work. First things first: the guy had a plastic gallon container in the hood with gas, and the pump sucked from it. No idea if the pump was bad or the tank was rusted. If it were a my 77 Honda Civic, I'll live with the gallon under the hood for a while. So took of the seats and support, both in excellent condition. Took out the tank, emptied it took a paint brush and gave good finish to the wood bed. Yes, it was varnish. My wife just threw me out of bed because I still smell like new furniture.
I know this has been asked 1000 times and I read the threads and I have an idea but just want a little help with a couple of choices:
a) split the tank, mechanical cleaning (wire brush), maybe sandblast. Weld it together, never leave it half its content so it won't rust as fast.
b) Same as above, but use rust inhibitor (any recommendation) or tank prep or good old anticorrosive paint (gasoline resistant)
c) Same as above, a company covers the interior with tin (not tin metal, actual Tin as in Sn, the element, reweld. This last one brings the question, does the tin will run when they weld it back again. They say they'll guarantee it, but I have my douts.
a and b will be done in my shop.
Thanks for the help and sorry for the bedtime story, It's just that I'm excited.