So my son and I are just about done doing the brakes and wheel bearings on our '66 C10. We put the axle back in, and I was showing him how you spin it a few times to make sure its free etc...Only I forgot to put the pin back in that connects the two small gears in the rear end (sorry for the lack of technical terms!). Sure enough, a couple rotations of the axle, and the two little gears popped out onto the garage floor. I tried rotating them back in, with no luck, I can get one, but not both.

So what do I have to do here? Do I need to pull the whole rear end out and put it back together or is there a trick to get it squared away without pulling it?

Second question: I have 4.77 gears in there now...The neighbor has a '70 C10 rear end with 3.73? gears that he will give me/sell to me cheap. I would rather run those. Can I pull the gears out of that housing and bolt them into mine? I don't want to change the whole housing, just the rear end gears etc...

I have not looked at the manual yet because I lost the CD somehow. Note to self...I do NOT like electronic versions of manuals..Gotta get a "real" one!

Thanks!

Erik