http://www.flickr.com/photos/46halfton/2621542783/Well I'm not sure why I have not made a gallery post yet...I've only been a member for a couple of years.
Name: Jay Connely
Location: Brantford Ontario Canada
Anyways, I am part way through the second restoration of my Dad's 1946 Chevrolet Halfton. My Dad purchased this truck in 1969 and spent the following 4 years rebuilding it in the Roadrunners Club in Hamilton, Ontario. He restored it to the daily driver condition and did a pretty good job of it with the resources available back then. He finally had it on the road around 1974, which was the year my older Brother was born. I can along in 1979 followed by my younger twin brothers in 1983. It was around that time that interest in the truck was lost and it sat around and basically rusted away.
I began to toy around with it whenI was in highschool but I did not have a clue as to what I was doing or the money to do it with. Therefore more years passed with it resting at the bottom of a pile of junk in my Dad's single car garage. My Mom finally got fed up with the wasted space so she had my Dad move it out to a warehouse downtown Brantford.
In 2001 my Dad mentioned that he had someone interested in buying the truck off of him. I was devastated that he was considering this so I took it upon myself to convince him that I would work ion it because basically once you sell it, you no longer have it. Anyways, still living at home with a single car garage and my mother who did not want the truck back in there I considered joining a car club with a shop I could use. I went to a few meetings to different clubs and quickly became fed up with the politics associated with these clubs. Therefore, I decided to buy a new house with a garage in 2003. Over the following 4 years I tinkered with it more and more and did not really make any progress. I spent more time tearing things apart rather than fixing them and reassembling them. In 2006 I once again moved the truck into my second house and the garage there was not set up for a project of any kind. Finally in 2008 I really got down to business.
My Brother Randy and I hold "Truck Tuesdays" (or wednesdays, thursday, Saturday...whenever we are available and the wifey will let me) and are making some solid progress. 95% of the mechanical is complete and we have purchased a lot of parts to complete the restoration. This March 2010 the truck was supposed to be going in for the body work but our bodyman decided to sell his shop. We are in the process of finding another bodyman or seeing what our original guy is doing in the future. We look forward to working hard at it throughout the summer of 2010 and hopefully reassembly can begin next winter. Possibly 2011 will be our year but I'm not going to set a deadline! Check out my flicker site and watch our progress!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46halfton/You can email me at
[email protected]