Bite or adhesion I think would be the main concern. Did the guy u talked 2 give a reason for not wanting shoot it.
The other thing is combat-ability between the clear and whatever it was shot with before,which you could determine with a test area first.
You would need to find a clear which can be used over a previous paint which is old. I would think that the town your in would have at least 1 or 2 auto paint stores in it, where you could get some info on what clear could do the job.
If not there try online as there are paint retailers there you could order paint from.
The clear that I use says in the product info it can be used over any single stage enamel, but I haven't tried it over just any old paint, but I will the next time I got the gun loaded up just to see the results.
Dan