I installed a GM 350 crate engine in a 72 over a year ago for a friend. His 16 year old son has been driving it to school. New everything, radiator, trans, brakes, exhaust, etc. He heard a noise and pulled over on the freeway and said steam was rolling out from under the hood. At this point I have only done some preliminary checks. I filled it with water and found no external leaks so the presumption is that the thermostat stuck. It turns over but sounds like it has no compression and will not start. It also has a distinctive clunk when trying to start. It has no water in the oil, however the cooling system was dry so that may change after it sits a couple of days. I got a 50 Olds hot back in my youth and the rings collapsed on several cylinders. That could be a possibility here, but clunks are also never good. I'm going to check the compression and do some further investigation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fred

Last edited by rfs56trk; 01/21/2010 6:18 PM.

1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine