I found this information on another site, but it pretty much just repeats what I already found:
Another type of stamping found on some blocks is the "CE" code. You might see something like this "CE123456" on the front pad of the block deck on the passenger side. The "CE" which has been known to stand for "Chevrolet Engine" or "Crate Engine" was used on blocks that were warranty replacement motors. The "CE" prefix was also used on "over the counter" blocks and engines. If a customer had problems with their original engine, while it was under warranty, it would have been replaced with an engine that was stamped "CE" with a number following it. The number following the "CE" code was the serial number for that particular engine. Also if someone purchased a new motor from the Chevrolet Parts counter, the front pad on the passenger side of the block may have been stamped with a "CE" code.
Hope all this helps.
TruckNut
Be kind, courteous, cheerful and helpful - And someone will take advantage of you.
"Quiting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times." Mark Twain
|