I am trying to fire up my 58' 235 and am having issues. I can only get it to run with the choke fully closed. As soon as I back off of the choke, the engine stalls. Since the engine had been sitting for 3 years, I rebuilt the Rochester B that it had, to no effect.

Before even attempting to fire the engine, I pulled and cleaned the head and valves, so I know none of the valves are sticking. I replaced the intake & exhaust manifold gaskets, again to no effect. I also made sure to plug the vac advance port on the carb itself.

I know I am getting fuel because I can see a jet of fuel when I work the throttle with the engine off. I verified that the firing order was correct and that each plug was sparking.

When the engine is running, there is a backfire through the exhaust. (Orange glow and all). There is no exhaust setup on the engine.

What am I missing?