I cannot speak to the SecretAudio, but I have had Custom Auto Sound and other made to fit and look original stereo headunits in vintage vehicles I have owned. In my opinion the sound quality and performance of these types of units suffer greatly. They seem to put their money into making them fit and know they have you by the lower regions in regard to you not wanting to cut up your rig. Basic modern head units costing less than half of these items have all the feature s you want with better sound quality in my opinion.

I have a HD radio Sony unit mounted under the seat in my '50 that came with a remote. I bought a remote repeater from a local stero shop that basically pipes the remote signal from a small unseen location under the dash to the system under the seat, (I think it was $30.00.) A cable for my iPod comes up from under the seat as well. I just have the delete plate in the dash. Stereo speakers behind the original dash speaker grill and in the rear cab corners. It could really use a subwoofer under the seat, (these metal cabs are a bit tinny.) Looking in the truck you would not think a stereo is in there.

All I have is a small remote with volume, tone, radio changer and power. I hang it on the thottle knob. I can't see the unit so, I have to cycle through my presets on the radio, but not a problem. In addition the unit has all the modern lights and graphics that I wouldn't want to see in my truck anyway. The iPod selections are of course on the seat next to me. Works well and I believe I have less than $400.00 in the whole setup, (excluding the iPOD.)


Last edited by Nifty 50; 12/18/2009 8:50 PM.

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert