1958 chevy 3200 - 235 3 on the tree.

I drug the ol' truck home last March after not running for 15 years.

I replaced the rear main seal, carb, fuel pump, oil bath filter with a spin on, new roller bearings & power brakes.

Now that it runs & drives reliably, stops safely & I'm not worried about getting stuck somewhere.

I want to keep the 235 & bolt in an automatic trans. Since it is a 3 on the tree there are no holes in the floor for the shifter & I don't want any.

so the question is - what does it take to do a swap of this type?

I assume I will need a new steering column with the shifter. I may convert to power steering while I have it apart - but that is a different post.

I have never worked on a clutch or transmission - removal seems straight forward - but putting it back together correctly I'm worried about.


Is there a website that goes through this.


1958 Chevy Apache 3200
bone stock 235
53k miles
3 on the tree