The Sun electronic tachs that were used in the 1950's and early 60's had a sending unit that looked like a big voltage regulator, with a brown Bakelite cover. I believe some of them were dealer-installed as an option on medium-duty trucks back then. They used a set of Mallory mercury batteries in an oddball voltage, and those batteries went obsolete many years ago. I've seen original-appearing systems that were actually rebuilt with modern electronics, but I don't recall what company was doing the conversion.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 11/21/2009 4:28 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!