Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I'll still grind the head off, but just use the access to keep putting PB Blaster in there over and over. Seems like that is my best chance to get it to soak deeply into the length of the pin. I agree with you guys that driving the pin down - much as it would satisfy my desire to beat it - would only end up getting it completely stuck. But driving the pin up, especially the lower hinge pin is so awkward. Its so hard to get a clean, hard hammer blow on the pin.

Speaking of pin, I didn't have a drift large enough so I used an old house hinge pin. This is a pin from a 1926 house so it is good old fashioned American steel. It worked on the driver's side but it ultimately mushroomed the end of it (I reground it down, then it bent(!)when trying to use it on the passenger side. That pin is in there solid. If this doesn't work I'm gonna go buy a MAPP gas torch and heat that hing up. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by cletis; 11/12/2009 6:38 PM. Reason: language