Man, who knew putting mirrors on a truck could be so hard?!

I tried to remove both door upper hinge pins on my '46 today and only succeeded on the driver's side. The passenger side defeated me...for today only! DOH!

On the driver's side it had the longer mirror length pin already and all it did was mushroom when I beat on it. Having to hit it upward from below was a pain. I ended up grinding off the additional length of the pin, then BARELY driving it out. I think it was mushrooming in the bore as I hit it.

Question: Smarter now, I'm going to soak it repetitively in PB Blaster a few days, then do you think it advisable to grind off the head and drive it downward? As you may know, just below the head the pin has flutes on it so I'd be driving that through the hinge bore. Advice appreciated.

Last edited by cletis; 11/11/2009 8:00 AM. Reason: Language