Apparently these guys are not very experienced. The 2-3 man issue comes in with the 60-63 windshield. They are a true nightmare to install. The normal procedure doesn't work all that well on these models. And by normal I mean install the gasket on the glass, insert rope in the pinch-weld channel, set the bottom of the assembly on the pinch weld and start working the rope around the perimeter. The problem is when the glass is set near the pinch weld, the legs of the glass get in the way, and the top of the glass bumps into the lip of the roof and won't lay back against the cavity. It all needs to be laid in flat against the perimeter and the gasket lip pulled over the pinch weld, while it is still to far away to reach. This is why it takes so much effort (and 2 or 3 people).

For a 64-66, the windwhield should be much simpler. If you've ever done one before it should be straight forward.

I would recommend shopping for a Pilkington brand windshield. I believe it is only available with a light tint. Avoid the cheap windshields with the large blend band at the top, for two reasons. The glass is thinner than stock and has a reputation for leaking, since the glass is too thin and doesn't fit tight in the gasket groove. Also, the blended band is too tall, and the line of sight from the drivers seat is right through the shaded area. I bought one of these years ago, and after I found out about the problems I gave it away. I don't remember for sure, but I think it was made in Argentina or Paraguay.

Last edited by Markeb; 11/04/2009 5:09 AM.

1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane