well if I see Freightliner has the same set-up I am going for it
will post photo and let you know if it work or not.
Pat
No,
Freightliner has a completely different setup, one designed from day one to bolt to the axle and a telescoping steering shaft also designed for the job.
You could try the Freightliner setup, may weigh as much as the whole axle does already....
The rack you're considering was originally stationary and bolted to the frame/crossmember, the steering shaft slip joint hardly ever moved.
Say it is mounted to the axle,
When you are steering hard one way and also go over a bump or dip how much does the telescoping shaft bind and push and pull on the pinion?
Do you think the pinion is anchored and supported well enough in that aluminum housing to take the abuse of pushing and pulling on it continually?
Will it give up and pull out or wear out seals quicker than desired?
Is it designed to take end thrust in both directions?
What if the telescoping shaft gets rusty or sticky, then how much force is applied to the pinion?
I don't have those answers but I'd sure get them before charging ahead.
Grigg