I got an idea this weekend when I looked at my dads f-150. Here's a link to a picture I found that is basically the same thing
rear end pic
That got me thinking, would it be possible to pull the yokes off of the two rear ends, and modify the 3/4 ton one with a similar plate design to fit onto my 1/2 ton? I would need the back end of the 1/2 yoke, with the original splines to mate to the gears... being the shaft the yoke slides onto on the 3/4 ton is bigger, putting the 1/2 ton yoke onto the 3/4 would be impossible, but 3/4 to 1/2 should be possible, right? I would just need to connect the bigger yoke to the smaller splined piece vis a sturdy plate. Then I could switch rear ends, without ditching my driveshaft or trans, and would be able to lighten the truck and get my 6 lug rims. Think it could work?