Well guys, still no success. I made a puller utilizing two 3/4" all-thread draw bolts and an oak 4x4...nothing. I heated the drum uniformly around the bolt circle (not cherry) and quenched with cold water...nothing. The only positive note is that I am able to see penetrant coming from behind the axle studs and the drum, so I know the penetrant is slowly working.
I plan to use the four, 3/8" holes that are in the drum to make another puller. I will try to pull it in those four places using maximum pressure from the stud nearsest each hole. If that doesn't work, I'll drill 4 additional holes and make 4 more pullers. Surely it won't be able to resist that kind of force!
I'm still hoping someone will let me know if there is a better way. If this works, I'll supply a drawing to anyone who ever needs it.
Jim