Yes, it does bolt up. I've got a 350 in front of my SM420 and it does a beautiful job. That is one stout transmission. It does feel like it's about one gear short, and that's probably because the first gear is a 7.06:1 ratio. You can probably almost walk faster.
The bellhousing was from the early 70's. I think it might be a 292 bellhousing, but not sure. It's iron though. It has exactly the same spacing from the back of the block as the original 235's bellhousing had. I used a 1968 Corvette clutch because I had a '68 Corvette flywheel. I did use the original 235's clutch fork. It fit in there just fine.
Yes, it works great.
My 235 I used to have, got a solid 16 mpg though. I experienced a huge improvement after swapping the stock Rochester 1 bbl for a Holley/Webber 2 bbl carb. I also recommend the Pertronix conversion for the points.
But if you're going the 283 route, that's a good little engine. Know what though? A 305 might offer better low end torque, and they're a dime a dozen. It's a 3.48 inch stroke compared with the 2.83's 3.0 inch stroke. But if you have a 283, it's a good motor, go fer it.