"Can anybody talk me about the use of the dual carburetors. What is the idea, what about the gas consumption, what about the performance, was a option?"

In addition to Mr. Lang's fine summary:

What is the idea, - see above; see below

what about the gas consumption, - the same or better, if you match up the carbs properly

what about the performance, - always better, unless you have not matched-up and tuned the carbs properly

was a option? - no, multiple carbs on a 216/235/261 was never a GM option on a truck. However, triple side-draft carbs on a 235 was standard on 235 Corvette in 53-55 - makes for good conversation at shows/cruise-ins.

Add dual-exhaust manifolds to enhance all of the above (if you have the carbs well-matched and well-tuned).


What is the idea, - see above; see below

- It looks good
- It sounds good (even with civilized, stock mufflers)
- It accelerates much better than stock (from start and at all speeds)
- It's a great conversation starter

I have run dual stock Rochesters and dual Carter-Webers (Motorcraft 740s)

I prefer the stock look but I'll live with this modification.

Tim