I have a 1951 Chevy that I got a great deal on a 4.3 L V-6 vortec with 4L60 transmission. It came from a 2000 Astro van that was rear-end totaled and has been in the yard for two years--means 3 years on the road and maybe 25kmiles max. Seems like we are trying to do the same thing. They put 350's all the time into old trucks and this is essentially a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off. I have found a very good wiring guy, who is also very reasonable who is doing a custom harness for me (not a painless wiring harness but a custom job). I have all the computer and wiring from the astrovan; and all the periferal stuff like pumps. I have an A/C unit so the compressor is coming along too. The yard I got it from is letting me have anything else under the hood that I can use. I am trying to see if the cruise control and steering column will work. Anyway, I am just getting started with this and have a different guy with the body (it is off now) doing the body work (quite reasonably too.) I am not sure if you are trying to do the same thing as I am but if you are, we could compare notes. I already have a 1985 Camaro frame that I am using with nice clips on front so that the truck will drive more like a car. Anyway, there is much more I am learning. If you are going down the 4.3L path and want to modern creature comfort/fuel economy the truck like I am, it might be helpful.