So heres my thoughts... I am building my truck (36 1.5T) and I know i would like to be able to get some more speed out of it. I am planning on putting a SBC in there a 307 to be more specific.

I know the gearing in these old rear ends is very low, I have a dana 60 rear end at my disposal. So i am thinking that i can cut the axle tubes of each axle and weld the axle tubes and all the bracketry to mount the drums and hubs from the old 36 axle to the center section of the dana 60. I know that the outside bolt pattern of the axle itself is the same, the reason for the switch would be to have the 10 lug pattern..

Hopefully this makes since... any thoughts?

I would feel kinda bad cutting up the old rear end cause its a really cool looking eaton 2 speed.. but i want the speed and don't see another way to get it without buying a completely different axle.. which budget will not allow for...