First, I need to correct my earlier post. I have a '49 truck, but the engine is a '59 full pressure 235.
I believe my oil pressure gauge is working properly. To check it, I removed the sender connection at the block and blew compressed air into the fitting. The gauge is accurately measuring the air pressure in the air tank.
I don't know if my electric drill spins the pump faster or slower than the starter motor on the truck. Probably faster. When I use the drill, initially it spins the oil pump quickly, but I can definitely feel it slow down and load when the pump primes and the oil begins to flow.
Here is a follow-up question... With the key turned off, should I be seeing oil pressure on the gauge by turning the engine over with the starter - or does the oil pressure only show up after the truck is running?
If none of you is experiencing delayed priming/pumping at a cold start, I'm guessing my oil pump is just worn out. The pan and pump will come out without removing the engine from the truck, right?