| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (wilbur53, KEVINSKI, Wayne67vert, Lostbuthaulinass, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, tclederman, 1 invisible),
104
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,478 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 293 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 293 | Has anybody experienced an oil pump that is slow to prime and/or develop initial oil pressure? This issue seems to occur only at initial start-up after the truck has been sitting idle. The pump loses its prime. Once the pump is primed and operating, I get plenty of pressure and constant pressure.
For example, yesterday I started the engine and it ran for several seconds without oil pressure. I promptly shut the engine down because I don't what to damage it. I removed the distributor and used an electric drill to turn the pump and quickly got pressure and plenty of oil from the rockers. I then replaced the distributor and re-started the engine and instantly saw oil pressure. The pressure stayed high for 20 minutes while I ran the engine. I stopped and re-started the engine and again saw pressure instantly. However, the following morning, same issue. No pressure at initial start-up and I'm afraid to let the engine idle for any length of time to see if it will prime itself.
So my question is, how quickly should I be seeing pressure at a cold start-up? Is this normal, or should I replace the pump? What keeps the pump primed? Is there a foot valve or seal that is leaking? Thanks! | | |
| |
| |