I just found this site, joined and am overwelmed with all the topics, information, etc. I am brand new to forums and posting so don't expect me to know what I am doing. I clicked "start here" to let people know who I am and what I've got, so here goes. I typed in George C as my user name because that's my name. I also go by the name of Motthollow. I have no idea which one will be listed on this website. I am a retired shop teacher and have a decent knowledge and experience in welding and machine work. Why did I join Stovebolt? I've had an almost stock '42 GMC half ton for over 10 years. A few years ago I got my usual case of "the sweats" when I'm in traffic with the stock steering, brakes, and suspension, so one day I pulled it in my garage and ripped the engine out along with the front sheet metal and suspension, with the intent of doing a resto-mod using IFS, rack and pinion steering, disk brakes, etc. along with an engine change and bodywork. Four years have gone by and I haven't done squat to it because of the usual reasons: time and money. I now have the urge to get started on it again, but I still don't have a full handle on the two necessary resources so it will be a slow go. I will be documenting the dissassembly and rebuilding and will be searching "Stovebolt" for members who have "been there/done that"... especially those that have '41-46 Chev/GMCs or trucks of similar construction (sorry, I don't need to know how to install trim on a 70's Fleetside, etc.). I've already got a
Fatman M-II IFS and ECI disk brake setup and will be doing a slight modification of the frame to bring the IFS up a few inches closer to stock height. So there you have it... wish me luck. I welcome suggestions how to use Stovebolt to help me along (20,000 pages is a lot of reading material!). PS: if anyone is looking to buy a '69 El Camino SS396, that would sure help toward the "lack of funds" reason for prolonging the reconstruction of the '42. Also... if I don't answer you, it may be because I don't know how to. You can always reach me at [email protected] Cheers.


George C.

'38 chevy radical street rod project, '42 GMC pickup resto-rod project, '55 2nd series pickup on the road, '56 custom sedan delivery next in line to hit the streets. www.picturetrail.com/motthollow