I've removed two Holmes 515's, one Holmes 525, & one Holmes W35. Found out removing the first 515, that it wasn't a good idea to remove the crane from the Body. Damaged the body, & the crane isn't stable sitting on the ground. Before removing the second 515, I decided to start welding the rear stiff legs to the platform floor, & directly bolting the front crane to the plateform floor. I would then get someone with a Medium Duty Hydraulic Boom Wrecker to lift the complete unit up, then pull, or drive the trucks from under it. I used stacked truck tire, & rims, at the back of the unit, & dropped the outrigger legs to the desired height in the front. Just removed the Holmes W35 Wrecker unit from the '46 Chevy I had, in this manner last Summer.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery