ohwell that manual was written in 54 [see dates on the sheets], when engineering needed instructions for the grunts but wasn't finalized yet, and in the beginning the V8 in trucks [265 in 55] was expected to be for med and HD, not light trucks .... what's shown in the assembly manual isn't necessarily exactly what wound up on vehicles, there where "running change" sheets issued regularly that never made it into the reproduced book, and things would have been quite a bit different by late 57 when the 283 started being put in 3100's

I'm sure there was a variety used over the life of the 283, but the supports I have are the only style I've ever seen on original 283's, they're shaped so the wires just fit, no room for rubber [that's why I used the 'tool handle dip' rubber on them] - I'm sure exhaust manifold shields were a later invention [maybe aftermarket] when problems showed up from poor wire routing

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics