1955 1/2 ton first series. I searched a bit for this with no luck. I was replacing a rear wheel cylinder when I noticed a lot of play when I pulled up on the flange that the lug nut studs are in. I thought I better check out the rear outer bearings. I pulled one axle and found that the roller bearings had cut a 1/16" deep grove in the axle. I didn't know that there was never an inside race in these bearings, and that the bearing's rollers are made to ride directly on the axle. I have a couple questions:
1. Has anyone figured out a way to put a proper bearing in this that has both an inside and outside race?
2. Why would they build it like this in the first place, when a "real" bearing seems a better design?
3. What would you recommend I do, if anything, to fix this?
4. Would turning down the axle slightly to provide clearance for a proper bearing be a good idea for a wood hauler?
5. Are there later year exchanges I could make, short of a whole rear end?