DAD,

You are using the terms HEI and Pertronix loosely...what distributor do you have? A 350 could have a GM HEI but that wouldn't involve any Pertronix. A stock GM points distributor could be retrofitted to a Pertronix system, but it would be called solid state or breakerless, not HEI...this is what I think you have, a old points distributor with neat new Pertronix guts.

I haven't done this swap so I don't understand what you mean when you say you replaced the rotor with a stock GM rotor...who's was the other one, the one that melted?

All I have done is ask questions..sorry. I cannot see any problem with the way you have it wired up. I would write the melted rotor up to some type of mismatch if it wasn't a GM product that matched the cap.

I assume your alternator is a single wire unit as you didn't mention the additional DA wiring. If it is a three wire unit, is there something rotten with that wiring? From the info in your post right now, I can see nothing but a coincidence, although I'm not a firm believer in coincidences.

Stuart