I have a '52 GMC 3/4 ton that I recently put a Chevy 350 in. It has a stand alone HEI distributor on it. I've had a couple of issues with it and I'm wondering if there's an electrical expert that can tell me if I'm doing this right or if I'm doing something wrong.
First, the HEI just quit a week ago, leaving me stranded. When I took it apart, the rotor was melted so that the metal pieces came out. It looks like it melted from the current passing through it. The brand was Pertronix. I replaced it with the stock GM rotor and it works again. But I'm concerned with why it melted. That's the first problem.
The second problem is that I had wired the BATT terminal of the HEI directly to the battery connection on the alternator using a 10 gauge wire; but it's wired through a relay that is triggered by the 12V switched ignition. Then the alternator is connected to the battery with a 10 gauge wire also. This worked fine for awhile, but the alternator fried. That's right, stinky smoke coming OUT of the alternator, and it no longer puts out a field.
It's a 120 Amp alternator (an old one), and I am going to have it rebuilt. But this is the second failure in as many days, and is it coincidence that the HEI has its battery connection routing from the alternator and both had failures, or do I have that wired wrong?
I know on modern cars with HEI, they always took their BATT signal through a fusable link from the starter. But then the starter has a wire going to the alternator too. So what's the difference? Electrically it seems to be the same point to me.
So are they related as I'm afraid they might be? Or is it just a lousy coincidence and I'm wired correctly?
Please advise.