I have an idea, from experience with an old truck. It is more likely (to me), the Universal joint. When you pull forward the first time it takes the slack out, the slack is the clunk. I bet when you go from fwd to rev it does it every time? I had 2 3speeds and sold them for 25 bucks a piece a few years back. They are less than 65 pounds and USPS WILL ship them. When I shipped them in 2005 they cost about 25-30bucks a piece to ship. It may have went up since then, but it should not cost more than 40 to ship a 60 pound 3-speed tranny with the oil drained out. I shipped from WV to Idaho and WV to Texas. Both were under 30 bucks to ship. YOu shoudl have no problem finding a 3-speed, people are taking them to scrapper every day!! Keep your eyes peeled, knock on as many doors as you can when you see something along the road, most people give this stuff away. You know--it would be CHEAPER to replace your tranny than the u-joint. Noone has an extra u-joint, but every has or has had 3 -speeds which shouldn't go for more than 50 bucks or so. GOOD LUCK!
Oh---and just becuase there is sometihng amiss with your tranny isn't a reason to throw it out, save some american history, if you are going to trash it anyway....then might as well open it up and LOOK inside it. It may be somehting simple like a shim or something that you can have a shop make for under 20-30 40 bucks. and it's fun and you will be saving more Stovebolt parts from an unnecessary end.
[email protected]