Great stuff, guys. I knew you wouldn't fail me. Regarding the rebuild, I spent a fair amount of time googling and asking questions. This link
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm is the best article I found with the most complete info. I found much more about the Mopar trans than the GM, but they are the same, except for the bell-housing flanges and tailshaft. BTW, this GM box is more often called an 89mm than an MY6. I bought mine on ebay where it was described as needing a rebuild. I took the shift cover off, and was pleasantly surprised at how simple it appeared, so I decided to try the rebuild myself. I bought a generic 'How to rebuild a manual transmission' book, and discovered it to be worthless except for basic info. My fellow bolters recommended acquiring a genuine GM Shop Manual, aka Unit Repair Manual (see thread from Dec/ Jan), and I will vigorously support that. They are on ebay. I found several places that sell rebuild kits, but settled on A1 Transmission, 1020 Yuma St, Denver, CO 80201, phone 303-623-1401. It is probably a made-in-China kit, but had the same part number as one from another company at twice the price. The trickiest part of the rebuild is the sychronizers, which have some unusual spring-loaded characteristics. Regarding the seals, there is indeed a front seal. To avoid making this message too long, if you have specific questions, or wish to discuss it at length, email me at
[email protected]. That is better than sending a PM thru this page.