Defiinetly tell the seller to get that situation straightened out or you will not buy it. This could be a stolen vehicle with a non matching title,and if that is the case you could end up losing it at a later date. I went thru this situation many years ago on a 1956 Ford pickup that I bought without checking the numbers. The Ohio State Patrol worked on the issue and traced it back to a company in Erie ,PA,that had switched titles a few year before I bought it.This involv4d the owner of the co. in Erie was arrested and taken to court. The OSP issued me a form to take to the title bureau ,they then issued me a correct title for it. I was told,when the OSP first started their investigation,that if it turned out to be a stolen truck,I would lose it,plus the money that I paid for it.Get it straightened out before you make a purchase.