Perfect lettering requires patients, paper and a little rubber cement. Of course this begins after you've totally stripped the old plate of all paint and rust.
All I did was tape a piece of heavy stock paper over the plate and gently scrubbed the surface with the side of a sharp pencil or charcoal pen so that the image of the letters/numbers would transfer to the paper. Then with an exacto blade and straight edge (as needed for straight cuts)started to cut out the letters/numbers. Where the letters/numbers curve you can use a french curve to help guide your cuts or if your hand is steady enough cut free hand. You must be very patient to do this. It can be a pain, but what the heck...just take your time.
After all the letters/numbers were cut I simply rubber cemented the back side of the paper cut-out. Then I rubber cemented the plate which I had already spray painted the background color. Next the paper pattern was secured and excess rubber cement was lifted off the exposed number/letter areas that will receive text paint. I spray painted the color of the numbers/letters in about three short thin passes. It can turn out nice if you take your time in prepping the cut-out pattern for painting.
Key word...PATIENTS!!!