Well done, as usual, stovebolters - thank you.

Yeah, it occurred to me today that maybe the reason it needs choke, is because the idle circuit is clogged totally, so the only way it would get gas is through the main circuit. Good thought, Stuart.

Denny, yep, I agree - I'm becoming increasingly nervous about fuel these days, what with the seeming decrease in overall quality, and the complications of ethanol. Seems like the future is bleak for vintage vehicles as far as fuel is concerned. Regardless, this was on brand new fuel, so that shouldn't be the culprit.

Crenwelge, yeah, I'm hoping it doesn't need everything again. We'll see tomorrow when I open it up.

Joe, tClederman, Dan-pa, and We b, to be sure I understand the thinking here: Vacuum leak is causing too much air into the manifold, so the engine requires the extra fuel to balance out the mixture, right? Wouldn't this result in different results than dry, powdery soot on the plugs?

Either way, a vacuum leak test (with propane torch) is on the agenda for tomorrow, after the carb is removed and inspected.

I'll post the results. laalaa

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery