What engine in what truck?

During the 60's the Powerglide was used in pickups so GM thought it was an okay idea. I once owned a '66 with a factory 327 and Powerglide and it was a nice driving truck.

There are two basic versions of the Powerglide, the original cast iron case version and the later alloy case type. My '66 was the later one. That later one was never made with the bolt pattern to bolt directly to a Stovebolt six.

The early version came with both the V-8 pattern and the early six pattern. GM never used (far as I know) the early version in pickups, but instead installed the 4-speed Hydra-Matic.

Unless you have a Powerglide I'd encourage thinking in terms of a newer automatic.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...