Hey all. I've had my 1960 up in the gallery for a few months now..
i just wanted to give myself an intro into the forum, as i might be coming here a lot more since my project finally seems to be underway.
I currently have a 1960 chevy fleetside
a 1966 chevy c20 fleetside
and will be picking up a 196? chevy suburban.
Story.
I originally got the '60 to restore it to original, and had been working on it. I got a good running 235 for it, and had the whole front end off and was cleaning it all up to get it ready for the motor.
Then along comes the 66 for $100. i though *oh that'll be good for spair parts and what not. so i picked it up.
shortly after i had thoughts of making myself a crewcab as well.
Then due to a lack of time the trucks have sat for the last 4 months on the side of my house.
Well, about a month ago, i was out looking for some inner fenders and found a good set of stock inner fenders. and if anyone knows anything about these trucks, even with my limited knowledge, it seems almost impossible to find a set of these inner fenders that hasn't rusted through. well it was my lucky day.
So I finally go to get the inner fenders one weekend, and take a good look over the truck a 196? suburban. And As I sat there, looking at the thing, I realized how much I would rather just take the whole suburban and use parts off the 60 and 66 to make a good burb. And even better, if things go right, i'll be getting it for just $100!!!!
I'll probably take the 8 lug and 3/4 ton stuff off the 66 and stick those good suspension parts (they are all in pretty good condition for the year of the truck) on the suburban. and as well, i just can't seem to part with the hood off the 60 so it's gonna get slapped on there.
Now as well, i'm trying to see what it'll take to put the wrap around windshield on the burb. cause it looks a million times better imo.
So if all goes well, i should have it in my garage this week. so i can start working on it, even through the cold utah winter.
Now i have a question.
The suburban has had its vin plate removed, and I don't know how to tell the year of it beside that.
If there is any other way to find it, i'd be glad to know how.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Well,
It seems I have quite the project ahead of me.
The burban is missing the back rows of seats. only has the front one. It's a 3 on the tree, which will be weird cause i've never driven one of those. and since i had the 235 i ended up trading it for a running 350. I heard you can bolt the 350 right onto the 60's transmissions so i'm hopin i heard right. I also found a great condition 60 grill that i am going to put on it, because i prefer the 4 light grill to the 2 light ones.
The burb is sitting on the ground right now, so i'm gonna have to jack it up and put some wheels on it. It'll be fun to assess the damage from having it sitting on the ground for as long as it has been.
As far as the body goes. It'll need new fenders, like 90% of these trucks do. It needs 1 new door, that i can find pretty easy from the same yard i'm getting this, and i'll probably come home with the good door. It has the rust almost all along that sides of the body at the bottom. 1 of the rear windows (barn door style rear end) is busted out. and even though the windshield is bad, i have a perfect one on the 66 that i'll put in. or if i can get the wrap around to work. the one on my 60 is in in really good condition too. (1 small crack 2 inches long) Interior needs a good clean....etc..
pretty much the same old same old that most people will have to do.
I'm soo excited to get it though. I want to get that thing up and going within the next couple of months so i can start getting it out to shows and what not (round here they have an award that they give out to cars during a few of the earlier car shows, called 'the diamond in the rough', and then at the end they look over all the cars at the last show that had recieved a diamond in the rough award, and the best of them gets a pretty big prize. I want that prize)
Anyway. Wish me luck. i got a lot to do.
Last edited by J Lucas; 02/17/2009 4:29 AM.