| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,413 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#49897 09/03/2005 12:52 AM | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 17 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 17 | I am about finished with a brake system rebuild for my '49 3/4 ton truck, which now includes a new master cylinder and all new wheel cylinders. I've read up on the differences between Dot 3/Dot 4 (glycol) fluids (annual fluid replacement recommended) and Dot 5 (silicone) fluid (less water absorption and lower maintenance). Two questions: (1) Has anyone had a good experience converting to Dot 5? (2) Is brake cleaner the right choice to flush the brake lines, which are otherwise in good condition and have not been replaced (since I understand that alcohol is incompatible with Dot 5 silicone-based fluid)? All thoughts gratefully received.
"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know it's my own darn fault."
| | |
| |
| |