On a '51 3100 w/216, I'm curious whether anyone else has experienced this problem. My gas pedal won't return all the way when I let up on it, which of course makes it rev like heck when I'm shifting, and just makes driving difficult in general. I either have to reach down and pull it up (fun!) or I can give it a quick push, which loads the spring and sometimes makes it pop back all the way.
The original spring broke, so I've tried 2 different replacements, neither of which is marketed expressly for this purpose. The first spring was too weak, I decided. The next spring is a "universal" spring-within-a-spring. So I'm usinng two springs at once, and they're not strong enough to return the pedal, and this was an $8 spring.
I have checked for physical obstruction, which I believe is the cause, and found nothing obvious, but I need to look again.
Along these lines, my truck has 2 places to attach a spring: one is on the vertical linkage running up to the carburetor (this is where the original spring was and is where I'm currently connecting), and the other is about 6 inches furhter down, on the actual gas pedal linkage. Nothing is connected to it. Can some of you tell me which spring-connection on which linkage your trucks are using?
Thanks for your comments.