Thank you for the offer, HevyHauler. I really have no idea what a fair price for the speedo and adapter would be. I bid on a speedo unit on Ebay this morning, with adapter, and won it for $26 plus $15 shipping. Ebay pricing can vary widely depending on how something is listed and the audience the wording attracts. For example, I bought a late 1940's or early 50's 20 foot travel trailer in fairly good condition about two months ago, for $115.49 on Ebay. It had been sitting in the same spot in Arizona, buried in pine needles, for about 40 years. The Arizona license plate expired in 1965. I aired up the tires that were on it, split rims, inner tubes and all, and pulled the thing about 250 miles to my backcountry camp in New Mexico, where it will likely never move again. The tires are still holding air! It turned out to be a real jewel, and a steal at that price.
I also got ripped off on a "set" of tail light lenses for a 1960's Jeep Wagoneer that were supposed to be "NOS", and I paid a premium for, but turned out to be from two different decades, one still in the original bag, the other not. The seller basically explained it by saying "whoops, must have shipped one of the wrong ones", and then I never heard from him again.
In the photo of the speedo I won one Ebay, the bezel looks either rusty or simply very dirty, but the one on my truck is very good, so I wasn't too worried about that. It's supposed to be mechanically sound, and the seller has good "feedback", and lots of it, which is basically the sellers reputation. So I shall see what I get in a few days. I'm only going to use what I need, which is the actual speedo mechanism and the adapter, and the rest will go in a box for spares, I guess. If it turns out to be mechanically "as described", then I suppose I got a pretty good deal.
Last edited by Viking59; 12/09/2008 7:03 AM.