Hummmm!? To shim or not to shim that is the question. The transmission is not the origional and looks to have been replaced not long ago with a reman. transmission. Still has the reman lable stuck to the transmission. Wonder if they check for excess wear in the reman process. I can see how that could be overlooked. This also would explain the silicone gasket that was there when i removed the bell. I think first i will check the collar for warpage at the bolt holes and then maybe do the mill process for both collar and transmission.
I ran into a similar problem with a VW swing arm transaxle one time. The collar had been installed and torqued down with out any gaskets and that bent the collar.
Thanks for the link to e-bay. I will look into that if I don't find any bent parts. Looks like a good fix.
Last edited by Toyvo; 11/25/2008 5:26 PM.