Stuart,
He kept looking at the distributor. I tried to keep up with him but I am no mechanic. I can usually understand but would never be a threat of putting a mechanic out of work.
I think we have the distributor in correctly. We got the compression stroke and lined up the ball with the timing pointer (on the bell housing).
When the engine did run he said that it sounded like fuel starvation. I was then quizical about the gravity flow fuel tank. He works a lot with older cars and said that the gravity flow should keep the bowl full and even if the bowl was full the engine should run for a couple of minutes before it died.
I do not believe he would object to connecting the fuel pump and putting the line in the gallon can.
By the way. I am using a gallon can of gas because I cannot find a larger can to purchase gas for the trucks tank. They were all purchased by the people going back to Houston/coastal Texas after the hurricane. I never thought of that.