I took last Friday off to work on finishing the truck in preparation for the Beloit Autorama. I figured a while back that this would be a fitting show for the "maiden voyage for the truck. Beloit is just south of Janesville, WI where the truck was originally built. Beloit was also the location of the barn that the truck took it's long "nap" in. The barn is literally just down the road from where the show is located at. I had a lot to get completed before the show but I figured it was doable. The biggest thing was pulling together the interior.

Around mid day on Saturday, I decided to take the truck to the store to pick up some photos that I had printed up for a brag book for the car show. The truck died on me!!!!!!! The carb completely flooded out and was literally spitting gas out on the manifold. NOT GOOD!! After just about killing the battery, I was able to finally get it started (about 1.5 hours later) and limp home at about 5-10 MPH. Any faster and it would flood again. At this point there wasn't anybody that wanted to be near me.......I was steaming mad. Most of all it was driven by the disappointment that I may not be able to make the show in the 21st. After researching the problem on the Stovebolt forums, I decided that I needed to start by tearing the carb down. I did that and replaced the needle and seat as well as the 'plunger' and blew out all of the passages to ensure they were clean and clear. Not that it made much sense but someone suggested that I replace the coil too. It was REALLY hot when I was having the problems so I figured since I had a spare I would change it out. After a couple hours I had her running again! Changed the timing a bit because the plugs showed that things were running a bit lean.

After a 12 mile drive, I was in a much better mood. Got it going 40MPH without incident. Spent the rest of the night on the interior. Got 1/2 of the headliner in and realized that the rear piece needed some trimming and I was pretty beat so I left it for another day. So although it is not quite complete, it is road worthy and most at the show won't know what is not done. Still need to finish the headliner and a few misc interior parts, need to wire the fog lights, heater, defroster and get the wipers working better (not sure if the old vacuum wipers do work any better so I Rainx'd the windows pretty good just in case).

Sunday was THE BIG DAY!!! I borrowed my Brother Chad's truck and the neighbor Chris' trailer. My plan was to drive the first hour from Oconomowoc, WI to Janesville, WI with the trailer then take the truck off the trailer at my parent's house to drive it to Beloit. I got up a bit late that morning (6:30AM) and loaded up the truck. The fog was extremely thick and the air was so damp it was almost like it was raining. At this point there was not much that was going to stop me so I pressed on. Marla woke up the girls and got them ready for the road trip. Marla wanted to be sure to properly document the first trip/show.

With the problems the day before, I was a bit gun shy so I drove a bit further South to my brother's house where I met up with my dad in the '46 Olds Woody and we all drove to the show together. You can see here a photo of her following me and just how foggy it was on my web page (link below). We got to Janesville without incident where I met up with my Dad and my Uncle Don. Remember Uncle Don - he's the one that gave me the truck to start with in 2001!!!


After a commemorative photos, we headed over to my brothers where I just hoped and prayed that it would start!!! IT DID....AND IT RAN BEAUTIFULLY!!!! My dad showed up with the Woody and we hit the road to drive to Beloit Autorama. I kept reminding my dad that my top speed was about 40 but we did end up hitting 45 at one point. My Uncle Don road with me in the truck - of course with the windshield and the cowl vent open!!! We got to the show with no probelms. I heard at one point that there was about 1,400 cars (still need to confirm that though). What a great show.! Perfect weather on top of it. The sun took care of all that fog and there were very few clouds all day long.

We decided that it was more important to park together than it was to make sure we were parking in the "correct" class for each respective vehicle judging so after parking in a late model section and being talked into moving by one of the show organizers, we parked in the Antique car section (pre'49) which both qualified for. The guy from the show stressed to me that I should park with the trucks and would have a good chance at an award but he ended up saying you never know it may work out here too. We were fine with staying right were we were. I love the old cars that surrounded my truck that day and I got to park next to my dad with the woody.

Wouldn't you know it; the first award that was handed out they called registration number 710 - Tim Sheridan 1947 Chevy half ton truck. The club is sponsored by the Lion's club and ends up one of the guys that was key to pulling it off for 24 years had passed away. I was awarded with the "LION DON JOHNSON" Memorial Award for 2008!!!! What an honor!! I did not know him but what a great show it was. In addition to winning the award, I was also invited to an invite only indoor car show in the spring of 2009. Not sure if I will go to it but it sounds pretty neat. During the show, I was asked on several occasions what the truck's name was - Good question. I told my wife that in honor of the fact that my Uncle Don gave me the truck and the fact the the first show that I went to the truck won the Don Johnson Memorial award that maybe I should name it "The Don". Not "Don" but "The Don". She didn't like it.

Now it is time to enjoy it and put some miles on it. After the first show weekend I had just over 50 miles on it!!! What a great new beginning for the little truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While the truck is still not technically completed; this has been one great experience. I never would have thought back in May 2001 that I would have gone to this extent.

Thanks again to My uncle Don for getting me started, my dad for staining the bed boards and most of all thanks to my wife Marla and my girls for putting up with it for this long. Marla was so pleased that it was pretty much done that she actually went out and bought a Pandora bead in the shape of an old vehicle for a bracelet that commemorates the completion.

See you at the shows and on the county highways!!!

Tim

Visit www.46chevytruck.com to see the show photos.


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery