I'm about to graft a mid-70's Chevy Nova front frame and suspension system onto a S-10 rear frame, and fit a 1954 cab and bed to the later-model running gear. Your frame and cab will be a bit narrower, so the Nova frame stub might not be an option. One thing I like about that approach is that front end geometry, steering system, and engine/trans mounts are all integral with the frame, and engineered by GM to work with the small block V-8. I definitely believe a multi-million dollar corporation's engineering department is probably more qualified to do the design work than some backyard wrench jockey.
My engineer brother (who has a PHd in plasma physics) does computer modeling of new-design parts for several auto manufacturers, where the part is designed and run to failure with a computer program before the first prototype is built. He can predict a part's lifespan very accurately before it's ever manufactured. His consulting fee for that service is $1,000.00 PER DAY! How many aftermarket suspension parts vendors pay their "engineers" that well?
Jerry