I have considered the same approach for an alternator, but as you already know a proper stand alone bracket is the way to go, if you can make it work.
Problem with that could be finding or having made or modified a crank pulley with two groves. That was my problem when I cam up with the piggy back idea, I think there are crank pulley options now though. A factory one being a 235 or 261 that had a factory air compressor is supposed to have a double grove crank pulley, but this is a somewhat rare option and only on the bigger trucks if that.
Check out this guy, he may be able to help: http://members.aol.com/damperdoc/

The pump I used came from an IH pickup, but is the same as used on GM vehicles of all sorts for many years, later ones had metric fittings and bolts (approx 19980). It is a Saginaw P series pump, often called a "caned ham" pump because of the reservoir shape. I also had an aftermarket rebuilt/upgraded one from AGR, but I think I'll use regular auto parts store rebuilds in the future.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-